When it’s time to get window blinds for your home, how do you make the best choice? There are so many types and styles to choose from.
Here are a ten tips on choosing the right window blinds for you:
- Do you need privacy or a blind that blocks out light? If so, get a type that blocks light, such as a wood blind, mini blind, vertical blind or blackout blind.
- Do you need privacy but still want light to come through the window? You can now get window coverings that let light through, but block the view to the inside.
- Do you need adjustable light? If you want to be able to adjust the amount of light that comes into your window, you can do that by adjusting slats. Just get blinds with slats, such as mini blinds or any number of horizontal blinds.
- Do you have small children or pets in the house that could be harmed by cords with loops? If so, get blinds with child/pet safe cords.
- Do you have a sliding door you need to cover? A sliding door needs a blind that opens from side to side rather than up and down. This calls for a vertical blind – they now come in a huge variety of styles and materials.
- Do you need insulation qualities in your window covering? If your window gets blazing sun most of the year, or you need to block out the frigid cold, you’ll need to get a blind that insulates so you can stay comfortable and save energy.
- Is appearance important – or not? Decide how much it matters if the blind is stylish and adds to the room’s décor, or if function is more important than looks. You can get stunning blinds that add color, warmth and major impact to rooms, or blinds that disappear into the background. The choice is yours.
- Is ease of cleaning important, or not? If you have allergies, you’d be better off getting blinds that don’t collect dust (such as verticals). If you have physical disabilities or limitations, you also need blinds that are easy to clean and don’t require much effort or reach. However, it could be that you have tons of energy and love spending time keeping the house spic and span, in which case, a higher maintenance blind is not a problem for you.
- Is price a serious consideration? Some people need just a basic, plain blind to cover the windows at the lowest price possible. And if its not going to be used much, quality is not that critical. Others want the best value they can get for the best price. While for some people, price is not a consideration, they simply want the best blind they can get that is perfect for their home and their needs, no matter what the price.
- Special requirements? Is the window a special shape, such as arched or triangular? Is the window extremely high, so you’ll need a special way to open it? Do you need motorized blinds?